Friday, April 26, 2013

No nursing shortages too?

I've been wanting to do more with the health workforce. I just got bad news from my Mathematica fellowship application where I would have done some of that, but perhaps at some other point.

Health is one area where labor shortages are more plausible - not because labor markets fail to work, but because demand growth is so strong and persistent you could imagine that the workforces are constantly struggling to keep up.

That's been my prior.

But apparently that might not be the case either. See WSJ reporting here and here.

The first link highlights why a closer distributional look might be important (a good point that a commenter made to me yesterday about our EPI work).

1 comment:

  1. Anecdotally, I've spoken with people in the field of elderly medical care who say that a big issue is the low medicare reimbursements. The result is that it keeps salaries low, workloads high and people outside those careers.

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.