Sunday, August 19, 2012

Austrian Labor Economics

You don't see a lot of it, but there is some out there. Peter Boettke and Will Luther try to pull the insights from the literature together in a paper titled "Labor Economics from an Austrian Perspective". It looks like it is more specifically focused on jobless recoveries, which are unfortunately making a habit of rearing their ugly heads in the last couple downturns.

I have not read it yet, but am looking at it now. Let me know what you think if you get a chance to.

2 comments:

  1. The claim that Austrian economics had a knock-down analysis of the Great Recession annoyed me, but I quite enjoyed the rest of the paper. The agency arguments about declining unionisation interested me, though the explanation captured rather less of what was going on that was claimed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was pretty funny too.

      Ya - I think there was more background on Austrian economics in general than needed (and much of that I disagreed with - the sharp contrast they drew with the mainstream. But that's not unexpected with Peter). They could have cited many more people than they did. But I found all of Mises's contributions - particularly later in the paper - interesting.

      Delete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.