Friday, October 26, 2012

This ad probably discusses more substantial policy issues than most others this season

I'm curious if any of you think this demonstrates misogyny on the part of the Obama campaign. If you genuinely think that, I'm very curious to understand your logic.

Some background - this girl apparently has a show on HBO and this is in the spirit of that show. I agree - if David Axelrod wrote this up and found some random person to play in the video, that would be a lot weirder. But that is simply to say that comedy is often contextual.


6 comments:

  1. Wow, Obama just copied a Putin ad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I don't think that this ad demonstrates misogyny, but I do think that it demonstrates ridiculousness of the highest order. I would have thought it was a joke if not for my remembering where they got the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it demonstrates misogyny. But it is in the cultural vein of assuming that women's relationship with men is centered exclusively around sex. Also the idea of the purity of chaste women. Though I think it would be stupid to blame a political campaign for buying into cultural stereotypes. (Even harmful ones) If their goal was to change the world for the better, I'm pretty sure we would have heard about it. It's no worst than standard commercials.

    Oh and I disagree with those who say he copied Putin. The idea is relatively obvious and I can't see why Obama's team could not come up with it independently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, now I get the pictures floating around FB showing this girl with the caption, "My First Time Voting for a War Criminal."

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.