Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Highly recommended: The Men Who Built America

I had been meaning to watch this series, and caught my first episode (the first one on Andrew Carnegie) last night. I highly recommend this to anyone with an interest in American economic history. It's very well made, and they have commentary from both historians and entrepreneurs (all of them you'll probably recognize).
 
They said at several points that Carnegie "saw the future", which reminded me a lot of what Keynes said about entrepreneurs. I also liked that it was honest and fair. They praised what deserved to be praised, and they criticized what deserved to be criticized. The entire series is an homage to these men, so it's obviously mostly positive (as it should be!) but they're pretty straightforward about the pettiness that lead to things like the Johnstown flood. The episode ended with the flood itself... I'm not sure if in the next episode they'll share that Frick actually donated to relief efforts.
 
I highly recommend it and I'm looking forward to getting to the other episodes.
 

1 comment:

  1. What did Keynes say about entrepreneurs? This is the only quote from Keynes that I have in my database of quotes...

    "How can I adopt a creed which, preferring the mud to the fish, exalts the boorish proletariat above the bourgeois and intelligentsia who, with whatever faults, are the quality of life and surely carry the seeds of all human advancement?" - Keynes

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.