Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Methinks thou doth protest too much

Bob Murphy thinks I deserved my own entry in Noah Smith's bestiary...

...hmmm. I'm not the one that has a whole post series, set of you tube videos, and charity drive solely dedicated to trolling Paul Krugman, Bob!

It's true, I agree with Krugman often. I also disagree with Krugman (including in the comment sections of one of Bob's more recent Krugman posts where I claim that he makes a bad analogy between the Broken Window and the iPhone, which puts me in the company of that great Krugman-lover Robert Wenzel).

Surely agreeing with Krugman and putting forth arguments to that effect doesn't amount to "trolling", particularly since the only comment sections I regularly participate in these days are Bob's and my own (and occasionally I get in a tussle at Coordination Problem).

No, I don't think that's trolling.

Having a blog dedicated to arguing with Krugman? That's trolling.

Exposing yourself on youtube to try to get Krugman to argue (err... debate) with you? That's trolling (although it is a bit of trolling that I'd personally like to see come to fruition).

It is a very weird state of affairs when (for many people) calling Krugman an economically illiterate partisan hack is "engaging in honest discourse" and me raising the point that he's a decent economist that makes good points is "trolling".

Krugman fans may be a type of troll that plagues other blogospheres... maybe right or left wing political blogospheres. They are not a phenomena in the econ blogosphere. Krugman haters, though...

6 comments:

  1. I was already represented in the bestiary at least twice, possibly three times. And most people don't know they are trolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also Daniel, I said in that link that Noah Smith shouldn't have put in a pro-Krugman troll in his bestiary, because there really wasn't such a thing except Daniel Kuehn, and it would have been weird to just list you as a separate category.

    You described this situation as "Bob Murphy thinks I deserved my own entry in Noah Smith's bestiary..."

    This is what a troll does, isn't it?

    (I'm mostly kidding, though it is true that this entire post is based on the opposite of what I said.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true.

      I should have made clear that you only think I'm a troll, not Krugman fans generally.

      True - this post is something of a troll in itself (or is it a response to a troll?). But it's really trolling you (if it even is one), not a Krugman adoration troll.

      This is the other thing about trolling. One person's measured response to a troll is considered a troll by the troll (who thinks he's providing a measured response).

      Still, I'm not willing to grant complete symmetry here.

      If I say a celebrated economist says something right about economics, and explain why, it seems quite different from someone who says that a celebrated economist is an ideologue that botches economics.

      Right?

      I would gladly apply that paragraph to the way people talk about Hayek as well. Knee-jerk Hayek-haters are their own brand of troll.

      I do not think people who defend Hayek in comment sections are Hayek-fanboy-trolls.

      Delete
  3. "Having a blog dedicated to arguing with Krugman? That's trolling"

    Let me spam you with some Mises...

    "We call contentment or satisfaction that state of a human being which does not and cannot result in any action. Acting man is eager to substitute a more satisfactory state of affairs for a less satisfactory. His mind imagines conditions which suit him better, and his action aims at bringing about this desired state. The incentive that impels a man to act is always some uneasiness. A man perfectly content with the state of his affairs would have no incentive to change things. He would have neither wishes nor desires; he would be perfectly happy. He would not act; he would simply live free from care."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not that anyone cares at this point, but it should be "thou dost". "Doth" goeth with the third person singular.

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.