Friday, March 2, 2012

More on Keynes and France

First - sometimes I just assume that all my readers have my library, and can flip through Essays in Persuasion as readily as I can, so I don't quote or link. Sorry about that. This is the whole book. These are the two letters on France. This is The Great Slump of 1930. Another favorite of mine that was republished in this is Economic Possibilities for Our Grandchildren. Some sections of Economic Consequences of the Peace are in here too. Most of these were meant for a far more general audience than The General Theory, so anything you turn to in this book is going to be a lot more enjoyable - and you can really get a sense of what a master of the English language Keynes was.

Second - David Glasner has more thoughts, with more to come apparently. I have more thoughts to come too - probably in the next day or two. The question I'm planning to write about is - why did Keynes turn so determinantly towards fiscal policy? The answer, I think, lies in asking yourself: so if France and the U.S. could sterilize gold, is it possible for profit maximizing agents to sterilize money? What would that entail?

No comments:

Post a Comment

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.