Thursday, March 8, 2012

Assault of thoughts - 3/8/2012

"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking" - JMK

- A colleague at AU points me to this post on the availability of jobs for scientists and engineers. I'm rushing out today and have only skimmed it, but I'm very much in agreement with all this. I actually just sent off an article to The Atlantic on this subject, discussing the recent case of Jennifer Weddel. I have no idea how competitive that venue is, but I've been reading it for awhile, I respect it, and figured it's as good a place as any to try first.

- Gene Callahan shares a particulary strange Arlington County outreach. Housing assistance for hipsters! No, really. I guess this is mostly about FHA loans? I'm not sure. Actually, Kate and I were going to go to a seminar thing at our bank this Saturday on buying a house... thinking of jumping into the Arlington housing market this summer. Maybe we should go to the hipster event too! I don't think I'd pass as a hipster, though.

- Also, Gene on microfoundations and the history of science.

- Paul Samuelson got frustrated arguing with libertarians. I'm sure the feeling was mutual.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, he did: http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2010/01/soviet-growth-american-textbooks.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arlington's "Housing 4 Hipsters" was actually set up by a covert team made up of Manhattan and Queens residents, hoping to help our fellow New Yorkers in Brooklyn and take back Bedford Ave.

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.