Saturday, December 24, 2011

On my list to read...

...I have at least one Amazon gift card coming, I know, and this new Paula Stephans book on the economics of science looks very good. I've mostly seen her present and have read works of hers on the glut of biology PhD's. She's very much in the same camp as Hal and I on the science and engineering labor market. Hal and I have done and are doing a lot of work addressing these claims about "scientist shortages" - Stephans does a lot of research on gluts that crop up as a result of bad policies. I think there's a place for active science policy, but there are a lot of pitfalls and bad ways to go about it, and when all that is fueled by irrational fears about "shortages" it can be especially bad.

I've been reading several books this morning from my mother-in-law (purging the library) on Greek and Roman economies. Good stuff - lots of interesting discussion of evolving views on property.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Christmas...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7jQrvuV7P8

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Christmas Carol For The Rest Of Us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98dp_-o6QpU&feature=youtu.be

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're anything like me, you have too much to read. Since you mentioned Rome, you might like the History of Rome podcast. 163 episodes and we're finally up to about 410 AD or so. Beats listening to the Z Morning Zoo on the commute.

    Merry Christmas!

    IB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoyed your Christmas Eve, Daniel Kuehn! What other books are on your reading list? Were any suggestions from followers of your blog? (I hope you get a chance to read Joseph L. McCauley's "Dynamics of Markets" someday!)

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.