Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Oddly worded homework questions

Yes, I'm blogging to avoid finishing this problem set.

Anyway, one question asks: "Can you find a set of subsidies such that the optimum is achieved and all individuals contribute to an equal number of units?"

Let's say I am unable to solve the problem. My answer to this question would be "No, I can't seem to find it".

But that's the right answer to the question asked if I fail to get an answer! Do you think I would get points for it?

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the story where a teenager answered the essay question 'What is the Definition of the Word Bravery?' with 'This.' and got an A.

    I'm not sure if I believe it - if I were an examiner I'd probably just think 'you cocky f***!' and give him a D or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and if you can solve the problem, you don't even need to provide the solution. All you need to say is "yes".

    I think this goes into the "humanities are important if for no other reason than because they teach critical thinking and language skills" folder.

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.