Sunday, May 29, 2011

In that place, of all places?

Last night I was reading some of Jefferson's letters. I told Kate that I always enjoy picking up Jefferson from time to time because he's very grounding. When you read him you realize how much of the way we think about things came from him. She suggested it's just an enlightenment outlook in general, but I disagree. I think Jeffersonianism offers something unique - enlightenment to be sure - but a brand of enlightenment that's had special meaning and resonance here.

By now I'm sure a lot of you have seen the videos of a group of dancers being assaulted by police at the Jefferson Memorial. With a statue of Jefferson towering over them, and Jefferson's words on the walls surrounding them.

1 comment:

  1. It isn't surprising in the least actually.

    This sort of police action happens daily in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.