Thursday, January 12, 2012

Speaking of the Urban Institute...

Traditional think tanks are notoriously slow to get research out - for mostly good reasons (they keep working at the research and research can take a long time). Government agencies that we contract with can slow things down too, often for bad reasons (it's gotta work through many, many layers of bureaucracy before being released).

Well my report on apprenticeships is apparently finally released. I wrote section IV, and conducted the analysis on all but one of the sites. This took up massive amounts of my time in late 2008, 2009, and early 2010, but it was a very rewarding project to be a part of.

UPDATE: Something I forgot - if you have any interest in quasi-experimental methods, like the propensity score matching and the regression discontinuity design that I use in the report or if you just want to dig into the numbers more, my Appendices are worth looking at in addition to the report. The principal investigator was concerned that the discussion of the methods was too technical for the main report, so a lot of the material that I thought was the most interesting got pushed into an appendix. It's all there - you just have to look for it a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.