Saturday, September 18, 2010

Take it Down a Notch, for America

So most of you are probably aware that Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert are holding rallies in D.C. on 10/30/10. Stewart has his Rally to Restore Sanity, and Colbert has his March to keep fear alive. We've never really participated in anything like this before, but it looks like Kate and I and a couple friends are going to go to the Stewart rally, for two reasons. First, I think on balance he's funnier than Colbert. But also, he's really the only one on the national stage that makes comments and speeches that I think could actually be called inspirational and have a positive impact. Bloomberg's reaction to the mosque controversy was a rare beam of light as well, but there's not much else out there in the way of inspiration and groundedness.

Nothing captured it better for me than an example sign that Stewart pulled up on his show announcing the rallies:

"I disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler"

I think we need more of that in the public sphere, but also in the economics blogosphere.

Jon Stewart, William and Mary alum

No comments:

Post a Comment

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.