Friday, August 19, 2011

More great material from Ryan Murphy

From this post.

First, Samuel Jackson and The Boondocks channels Nassim Taleb... or John Maynard Keynes... or Donald Rumsfeld... or Frank Knight... or whoever - it doesn't matter. It's funny.



Second, Selgin talks about the 1920-1921 depression. He doesn't mention my paper, as Ryan notes. But I'm a nobody. He also doesn't mention Romer (not a nobody) or Temin (not a nobody). Funny - a lot of Austrians fail to mention these people. Paul Krugman and Brad DeLong have weighed in on the differences between 1920-1921 and the Great Depression too, but you never see people link to those posts either. Why? If you're going to criticize Keynesians and your going to use the 1920-1921 depression, don't you think it's worth looking at what Keynesians or even Keynes himself said about it? Forget me - I'm a nobody. But I'm not the only one talking about it.

4 comments:

  1. See the problem of induction & Hume: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/induction-problem/#2HumIndJus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel and Ryan: a blog entry isn't a scholarly article, at least not so far as I'm concerned, so no, I don't mention the sources you refer to, but that's 'cause I don't mention any sources at all! The facts I refer to, which relate only to the matter of austerity and recovery (I also wasn't trying to write a comprehensive account of the depression of 1920-21), are readily available. In case you're curious, I happend to get them from Benjamin Anderson's excellent Economics and the Public Welfare. "Mac" Anderson was Chase's Chief Economist--and a damn good one--whose misleadingly-titled book is actually a superb financial history, crammed with insider info., of the U.S. focusing on the period from WWI to the early post-WWII period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DK wrote:

    Funny - a lot of Austrians fail to mention these people. Paul Krugman and Brad DeLong have weighed in on the differences between 1920-1921 and the Great Depression too, but you never see people link to those posts either.

    You mean besides me, right? Or am I not a person?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a person Bob. You are one person. A lot of Austrians don't. And that was really a reference to Romer and Temin rather than Krugman and DeLong. Have you ever cited Romer and Temin on this?

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.