- This is an interesting article from last year on the competing origin stories for Memorial Day.
- I wanted to write something about drones and Memorial Day but did a little googling to see if anyone did my work for me. This one did nicely, with the accompanying cartoon:
- Here's David Henderson's response to my previous call for appreciation of veterans on Memorial Day. I don't always agree with him on this sort of thing, but he's always thoughtful.
- Here are Kieran Healy's thoughts from several years ago (HT Brad DeLong, today).
- One of the nice things about living in the D.C. area around Memorial Day is Rolling Thunder. I've only been through the city during it a couple times, but it's still great to see the bikers swarming in throughout the weekend to commemorate the holiday. Our apartment used to overlook the Pentagon parking lot, where they all gather. The house now is a little farther out, which is probably for the best. It got pretty crowded down by the Pentagon itself. We're actually going to meet a friend down there for breakfast in a few minutes, but they started about an hour ago and headed into town so hopefully it won't be as bad. For those of you not in the area, here's a taste of what you're missing:
That's Arlington House (Robert E. Lee's mansion), on my side of the river, in the distance.