Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Conan the Barbarian! And some Lovecraft stuff...

Today I came across a trailer for a new Conan the Barbarian movie! I hadn't realized this was in the works. It's been a while since I've seen the old ones (well, the first one - didn't like the second all that much).



It's worth noting for those that aren't aware that the creator of Conan, Robert Howard, was a good friend of H.P. Lovecraft, and they exchanged many letters in the 1930s. Howard is one of a couple of Lovecraft's correspondents with whom he would discuss economic issues of the day. Speaking of Lovecraftian things - for those that haven't heard the film version of At the Mountains of Madness is put on hold for the time being. Guillermo del Toro rightly insisted that it not be made PG-13, so that he could be faithful to the story, the box office be damned. Some firms demand more of a profit margin than others, and he is currently hoping that it will be taken up by someone else. I sure hope so.

Also - I was reading Lovecraft's letters recently and found a reference to an FDR speech in Providence, Rhode Island that he attended on October 21st, 1936. This is that speech.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't like the trailer, because that hero looks very effeminate.

    Don't mean that in a disparaging manner. I doubt I would intimidate anybody with my clean-shaven, smooth, soft appearance.

    But Conan, somebody who was put under such harsh conditions and who often had to fend for his life, seems unsuited to be played by this tall, thin, princely looking person, who looks like he has built himself physically, but in much more controlled conditions.

    I get their rationale for choosing a more sun-baked looking person, since Conan spent so much time in the desert, but Arnie's own tone looked reasonably sun-baked as well.

    Perhaps Javier Bardem, after a little workout, would have been a better Conan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Count me among the hpl/howard fans as well.

    I agree with prateek. By the laws of art, Conan is not to be depicted with curly hair. I detect the malign influence of Kevin Sorbo.

    I don't hold out a lot of hope for this edition: the influence of the lord of the rings is going to pollute sword and sorcery with 'epic fantasy' not appropriate for Conan. With the matrix bullet time reference in the trailer, I'm not too keen on the production team, either.

    -argosyjones

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is no one here watching Game of Thrones on HBO? Jason Momoa is already playing an awesome quasi-Conan character. At least, he plays a barbarian role very well.

    I kind of see what Prateek is saying, but I would blame the director or who ever is in charge of Conan's look. Jason Momoa would make a perfect Conan with the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I think Momoa is a good fit.

    "Game of Thrones" is the best show on TV right now. And the "Song of Ice and Fire" series by George RR Martin is the best fantasy series I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks about as dumb as the original movies.

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.