Friday, April 30, 2010

Of Austrians and Integrals

So I was looking through Ludwig von Mises's Human Action online this morning for something specific, and I stumbled across a section title that gave me great hope that I had misplaced my criticism of the Austrian School's bizarrre aversion to mathematical economics.

The section title was:

"The Integration of Catallactic Functions"

Alas, "integration of functions" did not end up meaning what for a brief instant I had hoped it meant. I should have known better - I just have integration on the brain. On Tuesday I take my partial differential equations final. It's funny - you'd think a subject called "differential equations" would have more differentiation. If I remember my ordinary differential equations from a couple years back, that did have a lot of differentiation. PDE, however, is just a ton of integration. Bah.

It's times like this that I regret being a mere mortal - for as Albert Einstein reminds us: "God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically".

Despite the difficulties in integrating functions that are introduced by my blatant lack of divinity, at least I have a Y-chromosome:


...or perhaps I missed the point of the comic :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.